This is a recipe that has been going down the family tree for generations! My grandmother is the one who passed it to me. We used to go to her house for the jewish holidays and she would prepare some fabulous potato knishes. Me, my brother and my cousins loved them! No matter how much of them she made, we would finish the whole plate. Now, my mom waits the whole family with knishes every time we get together.
Here is the recipe:
- For every 48 knishes, 1 1/2 kg of white potatoes is needed
- Boil the potatoes
- Once boiled, make sure to take all the remaining water. The potatoes should be very dry.
- Cut 2 onions in very little squares
- Fry the onions in olive oil, without burning them. The onions should be browned
- Smash the potatoes and add the onions together with some salt
- You can make your own dough or else buy the pre-made “empanadas” dough
- Fill the round dough with the potato mix and close it as if it were a bag.
- Paint the extremes of the “bag” with egg so as to stick them
- Paint the dough with egg
- Cook them in the oven!
- Eat 🙂
PS. Pictures to be added soon!